Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A Cajun finds familiarity in Chile by Emily Smith

Hola! Como esta? 

I am doing wonderful in this home away from home.  I have only been in Chile for 4 days, but it feels like I have always belonged here. I also feel like I have seen so much already but still have so much more to see.  My first day here I was picked up at the airport and also whisked away on an adventure all over the town after they fed me. 
First day with my Chilean family on the Pacific Coast
On the first day I learned nobody sits by while food is being prepared.  Everyone cooks!
 The one thing I'm still getting used to is the different eating schedule, but no complaints with the wonderful food I've been eating. 

The first day at the school we were able to go out to see the nursery where the trees that are being grown as part of the Coastal Roots program.  Unfortunately, the trees grow slower than the ones we grow in Louisiana so we can't plant them this year.  BUT the principal of the school is so wonderful that he has been able to get us other trees from local sources to plant this year and they will use the other ones next year.
Coastal roots program trees in progress of growing.
Curanto in progress.  A typical Chilean dish with seafood, chicken, pork and vegetables.
Ceviche with salmon and asparagus of the sea. 

When I go home each day the food is always amazing and made fresh.   So far I have learned how to make ceviche and curanto.  I love how the whole family cooks together and talks at the same time.  It is very much like a Cajun household.  

Today we went to Talcahuano to watch the military parade and met an English teacher from the Navy base.  I figured it was pretty high odds to meet a person in a crowd of people that speaks fluent English!  She said she was there to watch some of her students in the parade.  Today was the first time for many of them to walk in the parade because they just finished their training.  It was really awesome to see the community out supporting their troops.


Military parade in Talcahuano


No comments:

Post a Comment