Thursday, May 22, 2014

Fresh Air in Concepción by Alex Christensen

Escaping summer in Louisiana is always a treat, especially when you get to travel all the way to Concepción Chile. I spent a week traveling in and around Santiago before arriving, so walking out of the airport in Concepción was like taking a breath of fresh air. While Santiago was an amazing city, one that never sleeps and never stops moving, Concepción and San Pedro de la Paz (where I am staying) are much calmer and and more relaxing. The cities are located at the mouth of the Biobio River with mountains on one side and the ocean on the other. I couldn´t ask for a better place to spend three weeks.


A lake near the school in San Pedro de la Paz with Andrea and Edu

My role on this trip is different than some of the other students. Although I will be working with teachers in the school, I am also involved in a tree growing and planting project. This project will teach the kids how to grow trees from seeds in a nursery and will give them the opportunity to use these trees in restoration projects around the city. The two other science graduate students and I have been able to meet with many people from the area to discuss ideas about preservation and conservation. 

So far my family has given me a chance to see the city and eat some great food. Every night we have a delicious new meal, some that I recognize and others that are new to me. Hopefully, I will be able to take home a few recipes to share with my family and friends in the United States.



Making pizza!
After only 6 days here, I know that I will miss this place when I have to return to Louisiana. My host family has done a great job welcoming me into their home and I am learning so much. Chile is such a beautiful country and I cannot wait to see more of it!

Collecting sand at the beach.












No comments:

Post a Comment