Saturday, May 24, 2014

Making New Connections by Jordan Bedford


I was fortunate enough to be a part on the first LSU teaching study abroad trip in Concepcion two years ago, and thought when I left that would be my last time in Chile. I left Chile with great memories of my peers, the students, the teachers, and best of all my host family.  I had always wanted to visit South America, and now I could check it off of my travel bucket list, as a success. I felt like a part of the family, going on outings, sharing stories, and just being a part of their lives. So now, two years later, I am back in Chile! I couldn’t resist being a part of this trip again, this time not for the stamp on my passport, but knowing I would have all new experiences at a different school, with a different family, and at a different stage of my life. We were asked to journal about our expectations for the trip, and as a rule of thumb I try to have as little expectation as possible when traveling, and keep an open mind. But, I couldn’t help but be anxious and think about if this trip will compare with my last time in Concepcion.
I am happy to say that I have, yet again, found myself in a wonderful family, and greatly enjoying my time at The School of Concepcion San Pedro! My family has been very welcoming and kind, taking me to eat completos (Chilean hot dogs) with their extended family in a nearby town, enjoying a night at the movies to see X-Men, and spending time eating and drinking Chilean specialties (as well as home made sushi) with as much family as possible. Like I thought, my time thus far has been very different, but like I hoped the new connections I have made have been just as special.
My amazing host brothers, mother, Mike the tiger, and I at the beach in Concepcion.
Eating a delicious completo. 
One of the wonderful teachers I work with Ms. Maria Paz Medina.

No comments:

Post a Comment