Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Legend of Slick Nick by Jai Jackson


Slick Nick
We've come to the end of the first week and everyone still has all fingers and toes, though I did almost burn off my eyelashes and eyebrows trying to ignite the pilot light on the stove. The above picture is a story worthy of a Ryan Gosling remake. Nick has the natural good looks to make the students swoon over him (is also doesn't help that they think he's a former member of One Direction). Nick has been great about it, posing for pictures, shaking hands, and enjoying his new found fame (I'm famous by association).
Friday, was a special day on campus. Students were giving out candy with notes attached reminding everyone to be courteous, kind, and compassionate. It's kinda cool that the school is championing the effort to instill these values in the students so early in their lives. It also helps that it was FREE CANDY (my teeth hurt). 

Mr. Gonzalo (Academic Coordinator for Colegio Conception) and I.
Mr. Gonzalo has been teaching me about the entire primary/secondary education system of Colegio Concepcion San Pedro. If I could add more emphasis to how hard this man works it would still be an understatement. He juggles working with teachers, students, parents, boards, and the community and I'm pretty sure he's nominated for sainthood based on the patience he carries. If I can master my Spanish and learn enough about the system, maybe I can land a job working here. Anything is possible, right?


Dogs everywhere. Very friendly
A quick family pic.


Dog Pile at the Universidad de Concepcion (I'm on the bottom)

Let's take a moment to express how appreciative we are of our wonderful translators/fellow education students from the Universidad de Concepcion. These amazing ladies and gentlemen have given up study time, personal time, and some early mornings to help us leave an impact in the school and do it as smooth as possible. Special shout out to my Barbara, Jas, Oliver, Alex, and Amanda for keeping us sane amidst the communication breakdowns.

If you want to go abroad and can't determine exactly where you want to go, make it easy on yourself. Come to Chilé. I've never seen such beauty (outside of Asheville, NC), nice people, great food, the best wine, and variety of everything in one place. And if you come, bring me back. 

See you all soon!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment