Tuesday, May 20, 2014

K. Jones: From the urban philosopher Ice Cube....


Today was a good day! Man I have been having a blast here in the Southern parts of America. I have been truly lucky and blessed with the people I have been matched with, from my amazing Chilean family (picture below), amazing translators, and most of all getting to work with my good friend Colin which has made this transition very seamless.

At the Airport with my 'new' family: Claudio, Lizette, Ignacio, and his little brother.

After making to the house safe and sound. They did a roast and had pollo (chicken), camarón (shrimp), and mejillones (mussels) for appetizers but cooked the beef on the grill. This food was MUY DELICIOSO (very delicious)... One thing I don't have to worry about here is going hungry I can guarantee you that!

Appetizer spread

Chef Ignacio taking care of business

"Lunch"... Literally ate something totally different for dinner, which was 2 hours later


On the next day, we went touring the downtown area, neighboring cities, and lunch. We ate lunch at a restaurant right next to the sea called Mar Y Sol and I had seafood empanadas and Conger fish for the first time, which I later found out Eel... Good thing I didn't know until after the fact... But as crazy as it sounds, the food was AMAZING! The fish came on top of French fries and topped with two fried eggs, again may sound weird to those from the states but man that was some Good eating!!!
 
City Talcahuano (a very cool name)

Restaurant for lunch

Three different types of empanadas 1 with seafood, 1 with cheese only , and 1 with cheese and fish

Conger Fish dish with French fries, fried eggs, and lightly fried onions


After we ate, we went by the water and I saw actual live sea gulls by the water. We then left and went to the top of the city and that view was gorgeous. This city is home to a lot of the workers of Concepcion and it was great to be in the heart of the locals and actual people of the city, not just the 'tourist' parts of the city. I then went to the city of Tomé and walked on the sands of the beach. It was pretty cold by the time we got there, but I can tell that place would be amazing during the summer months.

View from the sea, Seagulls


View from the top of the City

Little ole' me from top of Talcahuano

Beach in Tomé

I mentioned this earlier but this trip has been amazing due to two wonderful ladies who have given up their time from their studies to work with Colin and I as translators during the trip. I honestly have no clue where we would be within this school if it weren't for these ladies! Not only are they crazy smart, they also know about the Weather Girls! Perfect match!!



Rosio, Me, Colin, and Alexandra

Lastly, here are some students I met while watching a game of soccer after school. Somehow I've been treated like a celebrity and its been pretty cool. They even started a Facebook Fan page on me, just ask Colin if you don't believe me.... I know isn't it crazy!

Chao from Chile for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment