Saturday, May 24, 2014

Beginning a New Adventure in Chile by Catherine Smith

The trip to Concepcion, Chile was long and restless. I couldn't sleep the night before because of the excitement! After three flights and a total of 14 hours in the air, I was ready to meet my host family. When I arrived in the Concepcion, my "mother and sister" for my time here were excitedly waiting for me at the airport. They even had a sign welcoming me into their country! 

Javiera and I celebrating Navy Day in Talcahuano! This Day is very important to the Chilean as they remember the Battle of Iquique. Though they did not win this battle, it served as an inspiration leading to their ultimate victory of the war with Peru. 


Some of the students I have been working with this past week. These children are so sweet! I feel like a celebrity walking through the school. They all want to ask me questions and I have received many small gifts and drawings from them. 


Catedral de Concepcion. Beautiful!

Javiera wanted to know what kinds of desserts I bake in the United States. We made birthday cake cookies together and she loved them! 


Everyone here has been so friendly and welcoming! I'm excited to see what the next two weeks have in store. Until next time, Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment