Friday, May 23, 2014

Meeting My New Chilean Family- By Morgan Walker


 First day with my family


The first day was the longest day. I arrived in Concepcion, Chile on Sunday. I was so excited to meet everyone and finally be at my final destination. After a very hectic traveling experience, arriving a day later then expected, it was a relief to finally meet my host family in person. Two of my new brothers Lucas and Maxi, along with my host mother Ximena greeted me at the airport.

After we left the airport we came home and had a big lunch. I soon learned that lunch in Chile is more like what I would call dinner. We had beef, not sure if it was roasted or grilled, potatoes, and avocado and tomato salad. It was really good. So far I have liked every new food I've tried. My mother Ximena, is a great cook! I also met Alejandro's (my dad) parents who live next door to us. They are very warm and welcoming people I instantly felt like family after I walked through the door. They showed me all of the beautiful art they made oil paintings, mosaics, ect. Everyone is so talented.

Riding Bikes with Maxi and Ximena
Wednesday was a holiday so Ximena decided to show me around San Pedro where we live. It is so beautiful here. We live by the Big Lake or Laugna Grande. You can see the lake from sun room on the top floor of the house.
Laguna 

My Back Yard

Taking in the scenery 

I haven't ridden a bike in years so this was very refreshing and I needed some exercise. This bike ride was also beneficial for me because I was able to learn my way around the neighborhood. I think I've got it down. I think...


Campus Courtyard Waterfall

Thursday was a short day in the classroom. We left early to spend some time with our translators from the University of Concepcion before we met with the professors at the university. We were able to see the little bit of downtown and grab something to eat. We had Chorrillana, which is french fries covered in beef, cheese, onions and gravy(sometimes eggs). Cristobal, the second to oldest son in my family, told me that it is a very popular dish among the college students at the University of Concepcion. 

At the university the group I was assigned to was focused on special education. We discussed the differences and similarities between the special education system in the U.S. and here in Chile or more specifically Concepcion. It was interesting hearing how similar our educational systems and law are, but how different our processes are as it relates to teacher education programs and student services in the school.  

I am definitely enjoying this entire experience. I'm so glad I came on this trip.

Until next time. Chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment