Saturday, May 31, 2014

Novedades de la Semana By: Emily LoCoco


Last Sunday morning my family and I drove approximately an hour and a half to see my mother's good friend, Pisty. Pisty travels a lot, so Malila, my mother, rarely gets to see her. The town that Pisty lives in is called Bulnes, Chillan. Her town overlooks a gorgeous scenic view of many hills. Once we arrived at Pisty's house, we sat down for lunch. We ate paella (seafood, rice and chicken), which was delicious. Once we finished lunch, we sat around the living room and played Jenga. Hours passed and it was time for dinner. We celebrated Martin's 23rd birthday at dinner with cake and ice cream.
Bulnes, Chillan
On Monday night, Rocio, Malila, and I cooked pancakes (panqueques). They are similar to pancakes in the U.S, but they are much thinner. You normally spread a type of filling on the inside of the panqueque and roll it up. We used homemade manjar as our filling. 

On Tuesday night, Rocio, Malila, and I went to a restaurant for dinner called Emporio Rometsch. Rocio and I ordered the same meal, which was called croque monsieur. It was a sandwich with chicken and mayo and french fries. The restaurant had an amazing view of Concepcion because the restaurant was on top of a high hill.

A couple of my friends and I went and ate lunch downtown on Wednesday and toured the city after we ate. For lunch, we all shared a meal called chorrillana, which was french fries covered in meat, eggs, and onions. After we had our fun downtown, we went to the University of Concepcion. Here we spoke to students at the university about the differences with teaching between the U.S. and Chile. This has definitely been one of the funnest days so far on this trip!
Downtown Concepcion
Top left: In front of the Cathedral
Top Right: In front of the fountain in the Plaza Independencia
On Thursday, we went to the San Sebastian University. The view and all of the buildings on campus were beautiful. We watched many students perform either a type of dance or play a song using Chilean instruments. We arrived back at Campus Villa around 1 p.m. and we played volleyball: teachers versus students. In the end, the teachers were the champions! (I think they let us win.) We ate at the Deli House after our game to celebrate our win, and I got a meat and cheese empanada. Later in the night, my family and I went to Deli House for dinner. Rocio and I split a pepperoni pizza, which was very good.  
USS (Universidad San Sebastian)

On Friday, we had a presentation at school about seismology, which was quite interesting. After the presentation, we had a couple hours for a break, so of course, we went to the Deli House. My third time in the past two days... After we ate, we went and planted trees with some students and scouts from school. After planting, I went to the mall with my mom and Catey to meet up with my sister. We ate at Johnny Rockets for dinner. Once we got home home from the mall, we went to our neighbor's house to watch the Chile versus Egypt soccer match, and we won!

On Saturday, I went downtown in the morning with my mom and my sister. I bought some gifts for my family and friends. We arrived back home later in the afternoon for lunch, then my father, my sister, and I left around 4 p.m. to go to Caleta Tumbes. This town is right on the coast so many people fish in this area. There are a lot of little shops and restaurants right off the shore. More to come in my next blog! ¡Chao!
Rocio and I in Caleta Tumbes


The breathtaking view in Caleta Tumbes




No comments:

Post a Comment