Monday, June 2, 2014

With the Family and in the School by Jordan Bedford


There is one more week left in Concepcion, and I can’t believe it is coming to a close. My family has been great, and has shown me so many beautiful places in Chile, like the beautiful costal towns of Dichato and Talcahuano, which is home to the cherished Huascar, a Peruvian ship captured by the Chileans in the 1800s. 
On the beach in Dichato.
In Talcahuano to see Huascar.

In my previous post I stated that this was my second time on the study abroad trip to Chile, and I have greatly enjoyed this school, because of the amazing teachers, students, and faculty. I feel like the school has really made us a part of their community, involving us in many different in class and out of class events. I am placed in a middle and high school art and math class, which is very different from my undergraduate experience in elementary education, but it has been very beneficial to me. My art teacher, Ms. Maria Paz Medina, has shared her passion for art with me, allowing me to create a collage of my favorite impressionist art. It has been really great being around a teacher who is passionate about art and her role as a teacher. I have also had the chance to work with a middle school math teacher Ms. Pamela Palma, who allowed me to teach a lesson on powers to her 6th graders. Since Ms. Pamela speaks no English a lot of our communication has been through my helpful translator Oliver, but she has been a fantastic teacher to work with. Teaching a math lesson to students who speak very little English was interesting, and with the help of many examples, clearly stated steps and vocabulary, and practice problems, I would say the lesson was successful. It really has been a treat to be apart of this school and to be around a group of LSU students who have also contributed to the community experience by teaching Zumba lessons, tree plantings, playing in volleyball and soccer games with the students, discussing with a local university, as well as performing in school concerts. It will be hard to say goodbye, but I look forward to our last week at the school.
In the art room creating a living room model.

In the art room, painting a street model.

Creating a collage of Impressionist art on the art room door.

Teaching a lesson on powers and exponents.

No comments:

Post a Comment