Saturday, June 7, 2014

So long, and thanks for all the ... bread! By James Kuterbach

All good things must come to an end they say. Sadly this is the end of the adventure but not without gaining lifetime friends and family as well as the memories of great times. Although it may be the end of my stay here in Chile, it is not the end of forming these bonds with wonderful people that I may connect with later in life. Chile is such a beautiful country filled with exceptional people. Who would not want to visit this place?

My last half of the trip went by so fast, but here are just a small glimpse at everything that I did.

My family treated me to a popular vacation destination here in Chile called Pucon. It is about a 5 hour drive south of Concepcion. Although it was winter time, the scenario was outstanding. I cannot even fathom how beautiful it is in the spring and summer.

Waterfalls at the national park in Pucon
We went hiking around the national park to see some of the natural beauty of Chile. The scenery was truly breathtaking to view. During the hike Jorge, my host father found a Lapageria growing, the Chilean national flower.


Chilean national flower
As we were heading back to the car after our hike, we spotted an apple tree with ripe apples growing. We indulged in a lovely fresh snack after a long day of hiking.                                   
Maggie, my host mother enjoying some apples
While in Pucon, my family took me on another hiking adventure, up the Villarrica volcano. The view was stunning after a hard climb through the thick 1 foot powdered snow coating the ascent.

The Villarrica volcano
                                                                     




On the volcano
On the lake that is overlooked by the volcano, one of the stray dogs befriended us and followed us around for 30 minutes. The dog would always get in front of us and roll around.


Random perro following us around all day



After Pucon, there were multiple festivities, feasts, and presentations shown to us in regards to our last week at the school. During testing in one of my classes, I had the opportunity to observe a music class. The music room is the ultimate jam session with a plethora of instruments for the kids to play. I was blown away at how talented and all of the diverse instruments provided to the students. It was truly remarkable to attend.

One of the music rooms, no those are not all guitars
                                    
 During the music class I was asked if I played any instruments. I informed the music teacher through my translator Barbara that I used to play viola back in high school. The music teacher then became really excited and said that he could get me a violin to play at their English Song Festival in which contestants all over Chile will attend to compete. I would be joining the two music majors, Colin and Kelvin to perform a traditional Chilean piece as an exhibition portion of the festival. Colin and Kelvin were extremely supportive and assisted me in getting down my part.

The day after the festival, came the last day of school and all of the goodbyes to the teachers and children. It was a day filled with thanks and merriment for being given the opportunity to be in the classrooms at the school. We said our goodbyes and I was surprised by my Math teacher Gina with a small party. The students pitched in money to purchase me a completo - a massive Chilean hotdog that is smothered in guacamole and tomatos. The music students also had a going away present - a maraca, to always remember the group. It was a wonderful experience being at the school and working with the teachers and students.

It has been such a lovely experience here. The people and culture make this country a place that you never want to leave.

Until next we meet Chile,

See You Space Cowboy...





No comments:

Post a Comment