Sunday, June 1, 2014

Another Beautiful Week by Jaclyn Tregle

The second week in Concepcion was filled with Zumba, friendly volleyball matches, tree-planting, and a trip to Chillán to visit Abuela and drool over the magnificent views of the Andes mountains. Two of the students from Louisiana, Amaris and Morgan, led a school-wide Zumba lesson. The school had a mini stage set up in front of the building. Also, there were speakers to blast the rejuvenating music. A lot of the students and teachers gathered in front of the school to participate in the biggest Zumba lesson I have ever witnessed. Morgan and Amaris did an excellent job leading the crowd in a thrilling exercise. I went up to the fourth floor to take ariel pictures of the students and teachers dancing their hearts out.

Amaris leading her Zumba dance!
With the generous help of the boy scouts of Concepcion, we planted over 15 trees to help beautify running path near some neglected soccer fields. We had teams of scouts and LSU people to take on the task of planting about 5 to 7 trees each. My team, of course, was the best. Colin and I led the team to demonstrate perfect "dibble dances" to create the perfect holes for our baby trees to grow and flourish. We finished a little before sunset, and my of my, the sunsets in Concepcion are just breathtaking. 

Me showing my team how it's done.
You see what I mean...breathtaking.


The mother of my host mom lives an hour away west in Chillán. We left early Saturday morning to drive to her house, but before we got there, we decided to drive an extra hour to the top of the Andes. The sights were overwhelming. There was so much beauty to admire. I have never experienced anything like and will certainly will never forget it. On the way down the mountain, my dad pulled over to buy fresh tortillas from some ladies who were selling them from their personal house. My mom also bought cheese and hazelnuts from these precious ladies.  We finally arrived at the grandmas house, and she was so sweet. Her voice was so soft and sincere. She made up a great dinner of chicken, sausage, potato salad, and of course a lot of veggies and salads. We spent the night with her, and the next morning we went to the farmer's market in Chillán. besides fruit and veggies, there were stands selling authentic Chilean souvenirs. If I could, I would have bought way too much stuff. Overall, I am extremely grateful for my second week here in Concepcion!

The beauty of the Andes
Felipe and I at the top of the mountain!
My dad buying tortillas. 
Biggest tortillas I've ever seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment