Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Goodbye Concepcion, Hello Santiago by Jordan Bedford

This Saturday marked the end of one journey and the beginning of another. My time in Concepcion ended, and it was hard saying good-bye to half of our group, but even more difficult saying good-bye to my wonderful family. The bonds I made in Concepcion are everlasting, and I know I will stay in touch with my family and the friends I made on the trip. In two short hours I left an amazing family, and met the new family who was hosting me in Santiago. Like my last family, the Merino Espinosa family is great. Veronica and Jorge, as well as their children Valentina, 15, Cristian, 11, and Josefa, 9, welcomed me into their family and made me feel right at home. We were both very excited to meet each other, and since this is my first time in Santiago they showed me around their incredible city. Downtown Santiago is beautiful with the contrast of the hustle and bustle of the city, and the majestic Andes Mountains. Over the weekend I went to two amazing restaurants that served amazing Chilean dishes such as, empanadas, and centolla. The girls took me shopping over the weekend we were able to spend time together talking about our interest and practicing their English and my Spanish.  
La Moneda, Chile's government building.


My family and I at an interactive exhibit about Chile.


Two men serenading us at lunch. 
Lunch at Dona Tina a southern Chile style restaurant. 

We have now spent two days at the school, and it has been a wonderful experience. I am working in a first grade classroom with the sweetest group of children, and a wonderful host teacher, Ms. Ximena. The first graders are learning how to read and speak in English and Spanish, and it is incredible how much English these children know and understand at such an early age, it proves that children are capable of learning and comprehending many things at young ages.  The students receive English, math, and science, in English, and language and social studies in Spanish. I can’t believe that as of tomorrow there will be four more days left in Santiago.

No comments:

Post a Comment