Saturday, June 14, 2014

It's official... I am an unofficial Chilean by Kelvin Jones


This week in Santiago has been simply amazing!!!

It all started when I left from the amazing family in Concepción and was picked up by another AMAZING family in Santiago at the airport! I am quite sure I was the luckiest person from LSU on this trip to be placed with another incredible family for another week in Chile (I know, maybe a slight bit of bias), but this family is amazing just like in Concepción.

First sight leaving baggage claim

My Santiago familia


From the moment I met my new host family at the airport, I have felt nothing but love and true sincerity from every member, as if I was a family member of theirs all along. We went to a popular Chilean restaurant in the downtown area, atop a hill that overlooked the city (that even the Pope himself came and blessed), and went to a nice coffee shop (where I had tea of course, lol)... That was all on day one and it was nonstop from there!


Lunch at a popular place in town called Galindo

Striking a Pose on the hill...

The school, Southern Cross, we worked at was equally generous and hospitable. I literally started teaching from day one and not just with high school kids, but everyone from Pre-K to 12th grade, and it was amazing! The music students were very excited to have someone from the states to come work and play for them. They even had a sign up sheet for students to work with the 'Professor of Music from Louisiana' (I'm quite sure they were disappointed when they found out it was just me, lol). But we had good times learning about Louisiana culture and music, all the way from New Orleans Second line brass bands to Saturday nights in Tiger Stadium.... It even snowed one day at the school (I know, in June, in South America of all places!).

LSU group at Southern Cross in Santiago... Top left is my major professor Dr. Byo (really cool being around him in another country)

The extremely nice music teacher I worked with, Javiera Barros

Literally the view at the school

Having fun in the snow

I have eaten so much food that I should probably officially join Food network or Travel TV. Since being in Chile I have eaten (all delicious by the way): cow tongue, octopus, squid, cow intestines, sea-weed, mucho avocado, and a lot of other things that I do not know how to spell, lol. I also for the first have eaten a lot of Peruvian cuisine and most say that it is some of the most delicious food I've ever had (next to my grandmothers' cooking that is... I do have to go home eventually).


A Chilean dish called Cazuela at Galindo

Pastel de cholo inside a bowl that literally keeps the food hot for over 20 minutes


But the total value of this trip was worth one trip in particular. My host father, Mauricio (who is literally one of the nicest and most gracious person I have ever met), took me and his two youngest kids atop the snow covered Andes Mountains. The views from this place are worth every penny and energy spent on this trip (just see below)! 

I am forever indebted to my professors Jane Cassidy and James Byo for making this trip possible, amazing colleagues I've had the opportunity to work with in Chile, my incredible host families, every gracious Chilean I've met (and stayed with) on this trip, and lastly my beautiful and compassionate wife who allowed me to spend a month away from Louisiana to partake in this trip. 


Thank you for all making Chile a place I can now call my new casa! 



Views from the Andes

At the Andes Mountains

The snow man, Elvis, created atop the mountains


Watching Chile's opening World Cup Match #VivaChile
Until next time!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment