Monday, June 9, 2014

Until Next Time, Concepcion by Valerie Thornton


It’s hard to believe that my three weeks in Concepcion are over.  Though it passed by quickly, this last week has been very exciting.  Last weekend my family and I went to Lota, which is an old mining town.  We visited the park, and as soon as I started walking the trails, I was mesmerized.  I saw breathtaking views of the sea and the waves crashing onto the beach.  I even saw a sea lion playing with some surfers.  I was surrounded by nature, and it was so calming.  I didn't get to see all of the park, but I definitely want the opportunity to come back to Chile and spend more time in it.

Lota
On Tuesday we had a farewell dinner this week for the teachers and LSU students.  It was great to have the opportunity to talk with the teachers we worked with in the classroom in a more relaxed setting.  We had a wonderful meal of steaks, chicken, ensalada Chilena, and more. 

Wonderful friends and food!
Thursday was a special day because we attended a barbaque with the administrative team of Colegio Concepcion San Pedro.  The administrators used this time to show us some of the things about Chile that we might not have known about.  The afternoon was filled with typical Chilean festivities.  Two faculty members dressed in cloths typical of the countryside and danced the Cueca, which is the national dance of Chile.  The clothing and the dancing was beautiful.  It was nice to laugh and share good entertainment with our gracious hosts.  I know that they put a lot of effort in to this day for us, and I really enjoyed it. 

In the evening, we attended the Second English Song Festival, in which students from all over Chile travelled to participate and sing English songs.  After the festival, the LSU students and our host families enjoyed a cocktail hour.  We took this time to thank our host families for opening up their homes and hearts to us.


Friday was our last day in the school, and we made the most out of it!  We spent the morning playing sports with the students.  I am by no means athletically inclined, but I chose to participate anyway because I wanted to enjoy the last bit of time with the students.  In the afternoon, we shared the cards that we had made to thank the students and the school.  Some of the students even thanked us for coming, which made me feel like the trip was more than worthwhile.

Reflecting back on my experiences in Concepcion, I am grateful to have been a part of such a great trip.  I want to thank my host family, especially my mom and dad, for graciously opening up their home to a stranger and treating me as one of their own.  They tried hard to communicate with and learn from me, and I feel like we made a lot of progress over the short time I was with them.  We were able to enjoy jokes with one another and have some really fun times.  I also want to thank my nana, Barbara, for all of her hard work and the time she took to goof off with me.  I’m still a little sore from our impromptu dance party.  Rafael and Nicolas were like the brothers I never had, and they even shared their futbol cards with me!  Fernanda gave up her room for me and made sure that I had a way home each day.  They have invited me back into their home anytime I want, and I’m sure that I will be making a trip back to Chile!

The English teachers that I worked with were a big part of making this trip a worthwhile experience.  Miss Margarita and Miss Elizabeth were always enthusiastic and welcoming.  I couldn’t have asked to work with better teachers.  We had productive conversations about some of the similarities and differences in education in the States and in Chile, and I also learned some valuable lessons from them.  Ms. Margarita taught me how to be adaptable and how important it is to be enthusiastic with your students so that they want to be in your class.  Ms. Elizabeth showed me how to smile everyday and gave me practice in making review handouts.  I truly appreciate these ladies for sharing their classrooms with me.

Chile has treated me wonderfully, and I hope I'll have the opportunity to come back.  There is still so much that this country has to offer that I haven't experienced yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment