Monday, June 23, 2014

Food of Chile by Nick Janzen

South Louisiana is certainly no stranger to good food. Some might argue we have the best in the world: red beans and rice, char-grilled oysters, BBQ shrimp…the list goes on and on and it doesn’t even include all our fabulous restaurants. While I love Cajun cooking as much as the next guy, Chilean cuisine definitely gives LA a run for its money.


A lot of us have written about food on this blog, mostly because everything we’ve eaten has been delicious. But food is also intimately tied to culture, and part of experiencing a new place includes trying new foods. So below are some of the foods I’ve enjoyed during my stay in Chile. The food itself is not so different from what I eat in the States, but it’s prepared with a special, “Chilean” style.
Our Los Pollos meal, served in a delightful yellow box.

The "before" photo…only the bones were left in the "after" photo.
I try to avoid fast food as much as possible when I travel; after all, fast food is pretty much the same everywhere, right? But one day my family and I succumbed to Los Pollos. As the name suggests it’s a chicken joint, and you have only four options: whole chicken, half chicken, quarter chicken, and with or without papas fritas (fries). The chicken is slow cooked throughout the day on a giant rotisserie. You can choose how you want yours cooked, from lightly roasted to fully scorched. And it’s absolutely amazing. Los Pollos definitely puts KFC to shame (maybe not Popeyes, though).

Asado in the making…Watch out!
We're almost there...
Perfection
Here, we find the crown jewel of Chilean cooking: asado. This is barbecue, Chilean style. And like BBQ, asado refers both to the method of cooking (grilling) and the event during which the grilling takes places. My first meal in Chile was a “welcome asado” and one of my last was a “farewell asado. ” Typically, you cook steak, chicken, and longenisa (sausage) for an asado, but other meats can be included, too (in more traditional, elaborate asados, sweetbread and other organs are included). When it comes to cooking meat, Chileans have developed a masterful patience. They’ll let the coals sit for hours to lower the temperature (asado is never done with a propane grill; sorry, Hank Hill). This technique ensures the meat isn’t overcooked and it also allows for more ole fashioned, around-the-grill fun.  

Not quite at Cafe du Monde level, but a valiant first effort.
What's this? Beignets? Surely, that’s not a Chilean food. And you’re right; it’s not (although sopapillas, a Chilean staple, are essentially beignets minus the powdered sugar). But what trip would be complete without sharing a little of your own culture with those who have so generously shared their own?Thursday night my family and I went over to Kenny’s house, whose family is friends with mine. We had a Louisiana night: Kenny cooked jambalaya, and I made beignets for dessert with a box of Café du Monde mix I had brought from New Orleans. Both dishes were surprisingly tasty. To be honest I was a little nervous about Kenny’s jambalaya. After all, he’s not a Louisiana native and had never made the dish before. But Kenny’s meal really impressed—it was almost as good as my Momma’s. When dessert time rolled around, it was Kenny’s turn to be nervous. Beignets are notoriously difficult to cook and I had never made them before. But with a little help from Kenny’s “mom,” they turned out wonderfully.

The night was filled with delicious food, good conversation, and great friends. It was the perfect way to wind down the trip. Friday was Chile’s first World Cup match and Saturday I was leaving for the airport. So, while it wasn’t billed this way, I considered this the farewell party. I actually preferred it this way: we had the chance to be together freely, without the specter of emotional farewells hanging over our heads. 

My time in Chile was amazing, an experience I'll never forget. I met amazing people, forged close friendships, and made wonderful memories. I already miss my adoptive country and hope to return soon.

1 comment:

  1. Just to be clear Nick, Kenny has made Jambalaya exactly twice before. The reason I was particularly nervous about the Jambalaya was because both times it came out kind of yucky and kind of ok. But, with Marco and Valentina's kitchen and even gas cooking I was slightly more confident -- hahahaha.... Your beignets were divine but what was most delicious was the awesome conversation and cultural connecting we did that night. Happy to get to know your family and you better and share it with my family.

    ReplyDelete